The Executive Board
Garth van Zyl
Monika van Zyl
Paul Scott Meinhold
Membership allows you to participate in the affairs of Sci Care South Africa. Members vote for the executive board and have a say in the overall operations of the organization.
To become a member you need to be 18 years or older. You do NOT have to be a volunteer at one of our events to be a member. Membership and membership status is subject to approval by the executive board.
Members pay an annual membership fee of R250.00. This fee goes towards the day to day operational expenses of the organization.
Sci-Care is a harm prevention initiative that provides compassionate care service and safe space at festivals within South Africa. Our service has been designed to ensure the physical and psychological safety of festival attendees, offering a calm and safe environment for individuals who may have ingested substances and are having a challenging experience or provide information and education regarding various substances.
Sci-Care facilitates these experiences above in a manner which not only provides individuals with potential opportunities for growth but also significantly reduces the number of drug-related hospitalizations and arrests. Sci-Care also offer training and education on how to respond to these unique situations, as well as promote awareness of harm reduction practices.
The Association has the following objectives :
- To provide a safe, calm and reassuring environment to individuals having difficult experiences;
- Provide general harm reduction information and services;
- Support individuals having difficult experiences in a way that adheres to an evidence-based approach and structure;
- Provide information to the different festival stakeholders regarding the well-being of attendees; and
- Collect, analyse and communicate data obtained at a festival.
- Advocate for the rights of people who use substances
- Support and promote scientific research around various substances and their use